What’s your vision for a better ANZ?
Building a better place to work is something that takes all of us together.
For hundreds of years, union members have dreamed of ways to improve their working lives, and organised together to make them happen.
Things that we take for granted now like the Medicare system, equal pay for women, and the right to paid holidays, are all things that union members made happen.
Right now you have a great opportunity to decide what changes you want to happen at ANZ during this round of Enterprise Bargaining.
Having conversations with your colleagues is the best way for you to have an impact on moving these discussions forward. Only by bringing everyone on board can ANZ workers strike a great deal for a better place to work.
What matters to you?
If you’re reading this page, chances are good that you’re the sort of person who already knows what’s important to them at work.
Maybe you’d like to see a pay increase that keeps pace with the rising cost of living, or maybe you’d like to be able to turn your phone off at night and on the weekends and not think about work for a while. Maybe you want ANZ to lead the way on gold-standard entitlements like Menopause & Menstrual Leave.
Take a moment and jot down a short list – just two or three things to start with – of things that you’d like to see change at ANZ. Then have a think about how you would change those if you had the chance. Don’t be afraid to dream big.
Who else is keen?
Lunchtime and coffee runs are a great chance to grab a quick moment with your workmates. By now, ANZ will have sent out official correspondence to all employees to advise that bargaining with the Finance Sector Union has begun.
These breaks are your opportunity for you to make some time with someone who you work with, and see how they are feeling about everything that’s going on.
Here are some questions you might want to ask:
- “Have you heard about the negotiations?”
- “Have you had a chance to fill out the survey? I’ll send it to you if you haven’t.”
- “Have the people in your group talked about joining? We can organise a meeting.”
You might also ask your team lead to put the Enterprise Bargaining on the agenda for your next catch-up. This creates a formal space where everyone can chip in. It’s your right to use work time to discuss work issues.
Decide how you will work together
Now that you’ve thought of some great ideas, and found some other people who you know are interested, it’s time to think about the next step.
Here are some things you and your colleagues can do together:
- Organise to meet up after work and chat. So many great things in history have started from interested workers getting together to talk after work. Ask everyone who is coming to bring at least one more person – you’d be surprised at how fast these can grow!
- Invite an interested friend to the next FSU meeting. All ANZ workers are welcome at FSU briefings, where you’ll get the latest information on bargaining and hear directly from other staff about what matters to them.
- Introduce your workmates to an FSU organiser. FSU members will receive a text advising them of the next visit to their worksite by an organiser. You can bring your friends along and introduce them directly.
- Put up a poster in your workplace. You can download some posters here. Print some out and put them up on the FSU noticeboard in your workplace, or leave some on your desk for other people to read.
Together, we build a better ANZ
Big changes start from little things – so reach out to someone today and start talking.
Remember, it’s going to take all of us to get the changes we need.
If you feel strongly about the need for change, and you’re comfortable talking to people about how we all work better together – why not consider stepping up and becoming an FSU Rep in your workplace?