Full Time, Part Time, Remote / Work from Home
Applications open: Friday, 15 September 2023
Applications close: 5:00 PM AEST on Friday, 29 September 2023
The Finance Sector Union is people across the finance sector coming together to improve our lives. From bank tellers to technology professionals in superannuation funds, we are a diverse union fighting to make a better finance sector, and a better society.
Our industrial capability is a critical element of how we campaign and organise. We know that the law alone is not enough, we need to organise. Our Industrial team is focused on building power with members through organising around industrial issues.
WHO YOU ARE
- Someone who understands organising, someone who knows what it means to work with members to build power and views each member issue as an opportunity to organise;
- You have experience advocating for workers’ industrial rights in the workplace and preferably in the Fair Work Commission and the courts;
- A person with strong technical ability including experience with state and federal industrial relations legislation, and tertiary qualifications in law or another relevant discipline;
- You are passionate about social justice and union values and will work hard to make a difference to members’ lives.
- The core of this role is the end-to-end management of member industrial matters, from taking the initial call from a member through to conclusion of the issue (which could be in the Fair Work Commission or a court);
- You will work with members providing accurate, practical advice on workplace issues, representing them with their employer and appearing in the Fair Work Commission or court as required;
- You need to be a great written and verbal communicator and negotiator, able to explain complex things simply, able to talk (and write!) to anyone;
- You’ll be a resilient problem solver – our work is unpredictable, there can be big barriers, but you will need to use all of our available tools to work for great outcomes for members and never give up;
- You will have organising at the centre of everything you do – every member interaction, every case, is a chance to build power for our members. You will be a core part of building an organising culture within the Industrial division.
Does this sound like the fight for you?
SALARY RANGE AND LOCATION
We encourage people with salary expectations around $88,700 to apply.
The FSU has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. We welcome applications from people in any location (even outside these cities).
The FSU is open to all flexible working arrangements including full-time, part-time and outside of normal business hours. All FSU staff have a flexible work location and can work from home.
We strongly encourage women, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability and people from non-English speaking backgrounds to apply for this role – we provide a diverse and safe workplace environment and would love you to join our team.
If you’re interested in this role, please feel free to reach out for a discussion. Send an email to email@example.com, using the subject line: Industrial Advocate – Flexible Location and we will be in touch.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm AEST on Friday, 29 September 2023.