Westpac recently contacted the FSU about many issues and errors the bank has discovered in the way it calculates and pays Long Service Leave for employees.
The bank is currently addressing and rectifying those errors.
If you have received a letter from Westpac about your LSL, and would like advice, contact the FSU on email@example.com or call our Member Rights Centre on 1300 366 378.
What are the LSL calculation errors?
Types of errors the bank has identified include:
- How LSL was accrued – in hours rather than weeks as specified in the Enterprise Agreement and in legislation;
- How LSL was paid when it was taken. In some cases an employee’s balance when shown in hours, resulted in a higher leave balance than they would have been entitled to if the leave was shown in weeks instead;
- Applying the wrong LSL plan or legislation to employees, such as those who had moved between employers within the Westpac Group;
- Not accounting for periods of unpaid leave when calculating continuous service; and
- Not accounting for or adjusting accruals of employees who have changed their pattern of hours or employment, such as going from full time to part time and vice versa.
Overall, the FSU is satisfied that Westpac is addressing the issues that have been identified and adjustments are being made to leave balances which is in accordance with the enterprise agreement and applicable legislation.
Contact your FSU if you have any questions or would like advice about the letter you received.