Many of us in customer facing roles are worried about our safety when serving the public at the moment.
Banking is an essential service and while there is no way to bring the risk of infection to zero, we all deserve a workplace where that risk is made as low as possible.
We need safety measures not only for us as union members, but for the safety of the community as a whole.
We’ve written to employers in the finance sector to demand that where public health orders mandate the wearing of masks, employers in the finance sector should make compliance a condition of entry.
This is an urgent issue, and it is not the responsibility of branch staff to enforce public health orders. There are lawful reasons that someone may not be required to wear a mask. That is why we’ve called on employers to immediately appoint security guards or similar COVID Marshalls in addition to the regular staffing level at retail branch locations.
We’ve addressed this with your employers on a national level, here’s what you can do to raise this as a safety issue that must be addressed in your workplace:
- Have everyone join the FSU – we can only act for our members.
- Appoint a Health & Safety Representative for your workplace.
- Raise your safety concerns under the relevant state health and safety act and appoint the FSU to act on your behalf.
- Safety legislation varies around the country, but if you’d like to pursue this issue more aggressively on behalf of your location, send us a reply email and we will work with you to have it addressed.
- Use these ‘No Mask, No Entry’ posters in your workplace.
If you don’t feel comfortable or safe at work, please contact the FSU Member Rights Centre on 1300 366 378 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your FSU reps